Baltimore, Maryland, Rhinoplasty
Surgery to reshape the nose, called rhinoplasty, is one of the most frequently requested plastic surgery procedures. Correcting nasal deformities can dramatically improve your facial appearance. At the Sinno Center for Plastic Surgery, Dr. Fady Sinno uses the latest techniques in plastic surgery to ensure his Baltimore, Maryland, rhinoplasty patients receive the highest quality care before, during, and after their procedure.
Find Out More
We can help you achieve the look you want. Request your consultation online with Dr. Fady Sinno or call us at (410) 884-4200 or (410) 751-2348 (Westminster). Dr. Sinno has offices near Baltimore, Annapolis, and Frederick.
About Nose Surgery
Rhinoplasty can be performed for cosmetic reasons to improve your appearance, or for reconstructive purposes to correct injuries or birth defects. Nose surgery can accomplish any of the following:
- Change the size or shape or your nose in various ways
- Narrow the space between your nostrils
- Alter the angle between your nose and upper lip
- Correct a birth defect, such as a deviated septum (the dividing wall between the air passages on the right and left side of the inside of the nose)
- Correct a nose deformity due to injury or cancer
- Relieve breathing difficulties
Enhancing Your Results
You may want to consider combining your nose surgery with additional plastic surgery procedures to enhance your results. These might include one or more of the following:
Characteristics of good candidates for nose surgery include:
- You have completed your growth spurt (usually age 14-15 for girls, slightly later for boys).
- You have realistic expectations about results: you want to improve the appearance of your face, but you are not seeking a perfect look.
- You are in generally good health.
- You feel your appearance would benefit from nose surgery.
What to Expect
The operation is done at the Sinno Center for Plastic Surgery on an outpatient basis. You may receive either a local or general anesthetic, depending on what you decide in advance with Dr. Sinno. Local anesthesia allows you to stay awake during the procedure and you will also receive a sedative to help you relax. With general anesthesia, you will sleep through the procedure.
Incisions are made inside your nostrils. Your soft tissues, cartilage and nasal bones are then reshaped to improve the external contour of your nose. If your nostrils are large, they also will be made smaller using tiny incisions at their base. Your rhinoplasty will take 2 to 3 hours, depending on the extent of the procedure.
After completing the surgery, Dr. Sinno will put a small splint over the outside of your nose to help maintain its new shape during the healing process. Nose packs or soft plastic splints may be inserted into your nose to stabilize the septum.
Healing is a gradual process. Day by day, the appearance of your nose and face will improve. Try to be patient. The results are worth it; you will look and feel better about your nose!
Right after surgery
- The first 24 hours after the procedure, your face will feel puffy, your nose may ache and you might have a headache.
- Take pain medication for any discomfort.
- Keep your activity to a minimum the first 24 hours. When in bed, keep your head elevated.
Swelling and bruising
- Bruising and swelling around your eyes actually will increase in the first few days, reaching a peak about day 2.
- Use cold compresses to reduce both swelling and bruising.
- Most swelling and bruising will go away after the first week following surgery.
Nasal dressing, packing, splints, and stitches
- Sometimes gauze or foam (packing) is put inside the nose. This will be removed after a few days and you will then feel much more comfortable.
- All dressings, splints, stitches will be removed within 7-10 days.
Nasal stuffiness and bleeding
- A little bit of bleeding after nose surgery is normal for the first few days.
- Your nose will feel stuffy for several weeks. Talk with Dr. Sinno about the use of nasal sprays.
- Try not to blow your nose for a week or so to allow the tissue inside to fully heal.
Getting back to normal
You can expect to be up and around within 1 to 2 days of your rhinoplasty. Make every effort to avoid rubbing, bumping, or hitting your nose for several weeks.
- Use extra care in washing your face or hair and as you apply make-up.
- Plan on returning to school or sedentary work about a week after surgery.
- Any exercise which raises your blood pressure (aerobics, biking, bending, sexual relations, etc.) should be avoided for at least 2-3 weeks after rhinoplasty.
- Stay out of the sun to avoid sunburn for up to 8 weeks.
- Internal swelling subsides very gradually. Keep in mind that final results of rhinoplasty may not be apparent for a year or more.
When your rhinoplasty is completed and your body has completely healed, most patients are very pleased with their enhanced appearance. They often report a renewed sense of well-being and an increase in self confidence.
Results of your rhinoplasty are permanent. Your face, including your nose, will change somewhat as you age. The Sinno Center for Plastic Surgery offers a range of procedures and treatment to enhance your face through time.
Are you ready to find out more about nose surgery? Request your consultation online with Dr. Fady Sinno or call us at (410) 884-4200 or (410) 751-2348 (Westminster). His offices are conveniently located near Baltimore, Annapolis, and Frederick.