Nipple Reconstruction in Baltimore, Maryland
Nipple reconstruction is usually done along with breast reconstruction after a mastectomy (breast removal). At the Sinno Center for Plastic Surgery, we can answer your detailed questions about breast and nipple reconstruction in Baltimore, Maryland. Dr. Sinno will work with you from his initial consultation until your final results to ensure you have the best quality care and the support you need during this time.
Find Out More
We can help you achieve the look you want. Request your consultation online with Dr. Fady Sinno or call us at (410) 884-4200 or (410) 751-2348 (Westminster). Dr. Sinno has offices near Baltimore, Annapolis, and Frederick.
About Nipple Reconstruction
Nipple reconstruction is a surgical procedure that recreates the nipple and areola tissue called nipple-areola complex. The reconstruction procedure is usually done as the final step of breast reconstruction surgery. Women seeking a nipple reconstruction usually have lost their nipple-areola complex with a mastectomy.
As with breast reconstruction, the best candidates are women whose cancer seems to have been eliminated with removal of the breast. This procedure is usually covered by most insurance providers.
What to Expect
The procedure is usually done as outpatient under local anesthesia. A "nipple mound" is created using your own chest tissue. The areola surrounding the nipple is tattooed to achieve the desired color.
- You will go home with gauze dressing over your nipple. You will also wear a bra over top of the dressing to protect the surgical site.
- The dressing will be removed in 7-10 days.
- Expect minor bleeding or oozing (staining of the gauze). Any bleeding beyond that should be reported to Dr. Sinno immediately.
- Nipple reconstruction is usually not painful. Any discomfort you have can be easily managed with prescribed pain medication.
Getting back to normal
- You can go back to your daily activities within 1 day after the procedure.
- You can shower or take a bath 1 to 2 days after surgery. However, you should not get the dressing wet until you get the okay from Sinno Center for Plastic Surgery.
Your reconstructed nipple and surrounding areola may not look 100% natural. However, like with breast augmentation in Baltimore, most women who have this procedure done say the psychological benefits are significant.
Are you ready to find out more about nipple reconstruction? Request your consultation online with Dr. Fady Sinno or call us at (410) 884-4200 or (410) 751-2348 (Westminster). His offices are conveniently located near Baltimore, Annapolis, and Frederick.